Just got the results from 23andme. It delivered some interesting results and accurate information I already had. Despite the current discussions with the FDA, this is certainly a very important tool for the progress of medicine and science in general. It is also curious to discover whether you have ancestry from different countries.
An indepth view of the company from FastCpompany, INSIDE 23ANDME FOUNDER ANNE WOJCICKI’S $99 DNA REVOLUTION,
23andMe was founded to empower individuals and develop new ways of accelerating research. The members of 23andMe have come together because we believe in the combined potential of genetics and the Internet to have a significant, positive impact.
- We believe that having the means to access one’s genetic information is good.
- We believe that your genetic information should be controlled by you.
- We believe that people’s similarities are just as important as their differences.
- We believe that the value of your genetic information will increase over time.
- We encourage dialogue on the ethical, social and policy implications of personalized genetic services.
- We believe in giving everyone the opportunity to contribute to improving human understanding.
I personally believe in the value of what they are doing and the future is more personalized medicine and tailored drugs. Eric Topol has written a beautiful book, The Creative Destruction of Medicine in which the importance of genomics is highlighted. However, we must also recognize the risks that genomics has regarding our privacy and personal information.
The The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance by David Epstein shows how genomics helps understand some of the characteristics of different athletes. It is not all about genes, but they play an important role in sport performance.
Recently the FDA has asked 23andme to conform to their regulations and understand the consequences of distributing their information to people that take their tests. Bloomberg, FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service, the New York Times F.D.A. Orders Genetic Testing Firm to Stop Selling DNA Analysis Service. FastCompany, WHY 23ANDME TERRIFIES HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANIES. Scientific American 23andMe Is Terrifying, But Not for the Reasons the FDA Thinks. Forbes Why The FDA Can’t Be Flexible With 23andMe, By Law.
A set of opinions on the topic opinions nicely summed up by David Dobbs FDA Muzzles 23andMe After Talks Break Down,